Student Organization Funding
Please carefully review the SGA guidelines and stipulations for funding before submitting your application. Organizations will be held to the guidelines and standards in place as of the date of their presentation. The funding guidelines are constantly updated and reevaluated as COVID-19 continues to evolve. Please ensure you are looking at the most updated version of the funding guidelines.
NOTE: All evaluations, decisions, and interpretations of the guidelines are at the discretion of the Finance Board. All requests will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis and some funding exceptions may be made if the Board decides it is in the best interest of the student body.
QUALIFICATIONS FOR FUNDING
- Only student organizations recognized and in good standing with the Office of Student Organizations will be considered for funding. University-wide events and departments not recognized as student organizations are not eligible.
- Graduate students do not contribute to the undergraduate Student Body Fee. Therefore, SGA does not fund graduate student organizations. If an undergraduate organization has graduate student members, SGA reserves the right to take a percentage deduction from the awarded amount to account for any graduate students.
- Organizations cannot receive funding for expenses incurred more than 30 days prior.
- Presentations must occur prior to the event that organizations are seeking funding for, with the exception of events occurring before February 10, 2022.
- Reimbursements may only be awarded to the person that paid for the expense.
- Organizations with outstanding financial responsibilities to TCU (such as fines levied by particular offices) are not eligible for funding.
- Organizations’ history of campus involvement, fiscal health, alternative sources of revenue, and prior funding allocations may be taken into consideration.
- Organizations and members found to have misused funding may be subject to penalties as determined by the Finance Board and Student Affairs.
RULES FOR FUNDING
THE FINANCE BOARD WILL NOT FUND THE FOLLOWING:
- Individual collectibles that are deemed “non-supportive” of the organization’s mission statement or marketing efforts
- Prizes of any kind
- Travel and lodging expenses
- Direct monetary contributions to charities or other non–profit organizations
- Speaker gifts
- Scholarships of any kind
- Mission trips of any kind
- Alcohol (even if over the age of 21), drugs, or anything banned in the Student Handbook. This policy applies to TCU students, as well as guest speakers, advisors, alumni, etc.
- IT equipment, Adobe Creative Suite/Cloud software products, and/or software purchases that are not approved by TCU IT and/or the SGA advisor
- Food for general organization meetings (defined as recurring meetings at which traditional organization business is conducted)
- Fines/penalties levied against the organization or its members.
- Prior to completing the Funding Application organizations should:
- Read the most recent version of the Finance Board Funding Guidelines
- Register all of the events/meetings that they will be requesting funding for on TCU Engage. Questions regarding registration should be directed to Dede Williams Vann at email@example.com
- Read the most updated TCU Policies on holding events and meetings during COVID-19
- Complete the Funding Application. This can be found online at the bottom of this page.
- After completing the application, you will receive an email from the SGA Finance Board with information regarding your presentation.
- Funding presentations are scheduled as applications are received. Funding presentations will typically be scheduled for the first Tuesday after the application was received. In the event of high application volume, presentations may be delayed.
- By 5:00 pm CST the day before your presentation you will be required to submit the following to the Finance Chair:
- An updated bank statement (no older than 1 month) for any private bank account that the organization holds
- The PowerPoint that will be used to present your requests to the Board
- After your presentation, you will receive an email from a Finance Board Member outlining the funds, if any, allocated to your organization. Unless complications occur, you will receive the email by the conclusion of the week you presented.
- To claim your funds:
- Organizations are encouraged to utilize TCU-approved vendors to make all of their purchases. Lists of these vendors can be provided upon request.
- TCU requires reimbursements to be conducted through direct deposit. Information about how to sign-up for direct deposit can be found in your allocation email.
- Follow all rules and regulations outlined in the “Claim Your Funds Document” that will be attached to your allocation email.
- Purchases of $500 or more require the completion of a form in advance of the transaction. Email firstname.lastname@example.org, to complete the form prior to making the purchase.
- If making a large purchase from a local vendor, contact email@example.com, in advance to inquire about direct billing. This inquiry must take place at least 2-3 weeks in advance of the purchase.
DEADLINE TO CLAIM FUNDS
- ORGANIZATIONS HAVE 30 DAYS AFTER RECEIVING THEIR ALLOCATION TO CLAIM THEIR FUNDS. ALL FUNDS MUST BE CLAIMED PRIOR TO FINALS WEEK.
- All funds not claimed by the deadline will be revoked and made available for distribution to other organizations. Unused funds may not be rolled over to the following semester.
Each organization is required to make a presentation before the members of the SGA Finance Board. Presentations should not last longer than 5 minutes. This time limit will be strictly enforced to allow time for questions from the Finance Board. All presentations are required to be given in person to the Finance Board unless stated otherwise. The presentation should include all of the following information, in this order:
- Organization name and mission statement
- Line-itemized list of all items the organization would like funded
- It is recommended that you use a chart to outline your requests
- For each item request you must include:
- Name of the item
- Event/meeting that your item will be used
- Cost of the item
- Where the item will be purchased from
- Vendor Names (if affiliated with TCU) or URL links to where the items will be purchased from
- Information about ALL of the fundraising efforts and other sources of funding for the requested items
Student travel permitted by the University shall be defined as transportation, lodging, and meals associated with an approved, student event outside of the DFW Metroplex. Conference or program fees are not considered student travel. Student organizations seeking funding for student travel must contact Student Body Treasurer Court Putnam, firstname.lastname@example.org, to gain recommendation before presenting in front of the Finance Board. *** Due to COVID-19, the Finance Board will currently only hear travel-related requests for events within a 5-hour driving radius of Fort Worth, Texas. SGA is not responsible for any rebooking fees, travel fees, or other COVID/quarantine/isolation-related expenses incurred by student travel funded through the Finance process. If you or your organization have any questions regarding travel requests, please contact Student Body Treasurer, Court Putnam, at email@example.com.
FINANCE BOARD CHAIR: Marie Langer – firstname.lastname@example.org
STUDENT BODY TREASURER: Court Putnam – email@example.com
SGA FINANCE TEAM: firstname.lastname@example.org